While planning out what I am going to have for my craft booth, I was inspired by an article I read about making my own wooden sign. I’ve always liked these but didn’t know how to get the letters on there without a stencil.
You start with a piece of wood large enough to accommodate the words you want on there, preferably a distressed older piece of wood. Pick out the colors you want to use. You could either go to Michaels or another craft store and buy some small craft paints or you could go to a home improvement store and buy a sample bottle of paint.
Take your wooden piece outside or in a well-ventilated place and put on a under coat of paint. Once this is dry you can distress it by sanding parts of it off or using a stain or darker color to make streaks in the paint.
Next you want to go to your computer and open up a word processing program such as Word. Find a font that you like and type out the whole word (you might not like the font once you see the whole word in that font). Make the first letter as large as you think you will need to fit on the wood and print it out. Hold it up to the wood and measure to make sure all of your letters will fit. You might wind up with only one letter per page.
Next you print out all the letters and tape them onto the wood, making sure to center the middle letter. Take a regular pencil and trace over the letters making sure to press hard enough to make an impression in the wood but not so hard that you rip the paper. Carefully peel back the paper and make sure that the whole letter has made an impression before removing the paper entirely.
Now you can paint over the letters. You can either buy a paint pen and outline the letters or you can carefully outline with a foam or regular brush. Make sure you get an even coat of paint within the letters (unless you are going for the opposite effect).
I was really happy with how this sign turned out! I’m going to attach hooks to the top so I can hang this from the Easy Up on the booth. Looking at the sign also makes my business feel more like a reality! It’s inspiring to look at it and think about the future.
So I keep seeing these photos of cute teacup birdfeeders on Pinterest and then I found some teacups on clearance at Ross so I decided to give it a shot. All you need is a teacup with a saucer and some epoxy or clear urethane glue. I picked the glue up at Michaels. The hardest part of this project is tipping the teacup on it’s side with the handle up and then squirting the glue into all the spaces so that it has a good amount of glue to keep the two pieces together. This can be difficult if you have a very curved bell shape to your teacup, so choose wisely. You’ll have to hold the teacup in place for a few minutes or figure out how the teacup naturally wants to center itself before you start and glue it there. What I like about this one is that you don’t have to try and figure out how to drill a hole in the china and then put a stick through it like the other ones I’ve seen.
The glue takes 24 hours to cure and then you can fill it with birdseed and hang it up! My mom was asking me, “will the birds really be able to land on that thing? Won’t it just tip over and spill out all the birdseed?” So I did a trail run and yes, the birds found it difficult to perch on and didn’t eat a lot of the birdseed. But it turned out so darling I didn’t want to give up on it altogether, so I tried just setting the cup and saucer on a table. That worked out great! So while it looks really cute hanging by it’s handle, it’s not exactly practical.
Another thing you can try with teacups (if you have a plethora) is making them into candles!
A few months ago I took a pilgrimage to one of the largest JoAnn’s stores I’ve ever seen. I was so in awe of the amount of fabric that I went a little crazy. There were all these cute holiday/themey fabrics on sale and I thought “I could get a bit of each and mix-and-match and make some really cute neck pillows.” So there I stood in line to get the fabric cut (a nice patron gave me her cart when she saw me standing there with 10 bolts of fabric in my hands). As the clerk was cutting my fabric I started doing calculations in my head (the price for each yard of fabric seemed very reasonable but once I tallied it in my head it got bigger and bigger). My boyfriend was looking concerned and told me I might have addiction! I responded with “this is an investment in my future” (much more confidently than I was feeling!).
But after recovering from the shock of the final bill, I got home and started washing, ironing and cutting my fabric. I love all of these fabrics and the fun combinations they are making! I had to clear out some of my scrapbook stuff (that I never look at and therefore never use) to make room for all the pieces. I’m looking forward to making these and selling these. I just need to work on all the other things too (like researching locations, designing the look of my brand).